Don't you just love Anne Shirley? Steve gave me the "Anne of Green Gables" trilogy on DVD for Christmas and we started watching it tonight to commemorate this very special day. What is so special about today? My little sister, Ie Ling, had tea with Megan Follows, who played Anne Shirley in the "Anne of Green Gables" movies! When she told me that she was going to meet her, I just about had a heart attack. I was never one to seek out opportunities to meet famous people, and meeting any Hollywood A-lister would only excite me a little. I would, however, LOVE to meet Megan Follows. You see, my relationship with Anne Shirley began in my childhood and has remained strong throughout my teenage and adult years. I love these movies. Watching these movies makes me feel warm and happy and remind me of gatherings with my mother and sisters, reciting familiar lines like "Will you please call me Cordelia?" and "I can't eat. I'm in the depths of despair," and imitating Gilbert's funny head-bobbing applause for Anne's poem recitation. Fellow Anne fans know exactly what I'm talking about. This is a tradition I'll start with Mei Li that I hope she will cherish when she gets older. We may even have to involve Steve because he's totally enjoying the movie so far! Here's the picture for my fellow Anne fans. Be sure to post your favorite Anne line or moment.
~Love, Ie Li Anne
16 comments:
"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls, I just want you."
Classic. It was fabulous meeting her! I love AoGG. =)
It must be providence that I found your post. I have been re-watching the movies the last few weeks, now that I have the dvds. My fiance just watched them for the first time with me today and he was imitating Gilbert's bobble head moment! So, yes we know exactly what you mean. I am again floored by how many memories the movies bring to me when I watch them another time and how much emotion. It never changes. Thanks for your post! :)
That is a great gift. I think I should put it on my list next year. So how is it Ie Ling got to meet her?
It turns out that her school friend's dad is Megan Follows' lawyer and they were having her over for tea. So Ie Ling's friend invited her to come when she found out how much Ie Ling love AoGG.
Thanks for visiting Michelle!
I love Anne too, the books and the movies, although I have only read the first two books. My absolute favorite character besides Anne is Matthew...I think they picked the perfect actor for Matthew. I cry every time when he dies.
A couple of my favorite quotes are "Puffed sleeves!" "The puffiest." and "I wouldn't marry anyone who was really wicked, but I think I'd like it if he could be wicked and wouldn't."
Eliza- I love Matthew! When we watched it last night, I started tearing up during the Anne and Matthew buggy ride when they start entering "the Avenue" or "Light Way to Light." I was just thinking about how kind and gentle he is and that did it.
You know, I have to be honest and say that I have never seen the movies! Crazy I know! I need to go rent them:)
"I'm swohrry Anne"
I don't remember what part he says it, or what he was apologizing for, but we always made fun of Gilbert's funny Canadian accent there! Help me out, what part was that?
hey ni hao. i'm pretty sure gilbert says it more than once. i can hear him saying it but to tell ya the truth i can't remember which part exactly.
Michiko, I can't remember either. Well, we've just started watching it so when we get to that part, I'll take note of it.
Leslie, you must watch them! And soon!
CARROTS!!!! Michi, I think it's the part when Gilbert apologizes for calling Anne, "Carrots".
The "I'm sorry, Anne" line I think is in Anne of Avonlea. It might be when he criticizes her book. But he does say "sorry" in Anne of Green Gables for teasing her about her hair when he rescues her from under the bridge, but not in those exact words.
I LOVE ANNE! How cool that she got to meet him! And she looks just like she does in the movies--not a day older. Amazing! I think my favorite is still the Ophelia scene (is it ophelia? now I'm wondering?) riding on the boat down the river.
I too must admit that I have never seen Anne of Green Gables, though I am feeling inspired to watch them!
Oh my goodness! I haven't watched the Anne of Green Gables movies in several years - I'm definitely going to have to borrow them from my mom soon.
I have tons of favorite parts - but I remember when I was little, I loved when she quoted the poems - so I had my dad take me to the library to find a copy of "The Lady of Shalot", and "The Highway Man" because she was so dramatic when she quoted them. I love the end of 'The Highway Man':
"When they shot him down on the highway,
Down like a dog on the highway,
And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat."
Post a Comment