Thursday, February 28, 2008

Goodness.

As in "oh goodness," "goodness gracious," "for goodness sake," and Merriam-Webster's "the quality or state of being good." I've mentioned before that my husband Steve is a tax geek and I'm realizing that I'm a species of geek too, that is, I'm an American Idol geek. I admit that it's hokey and lame, but I'm going to embrace this new identity and not apologize for it anymore. I dare say that you might all learn to love me for it?

I was reading an article from the L.A. Times about David Archuleta's latest performance of "Imagine" and a few things really bothered me about it, not just because it criticized my favorite contestant, but because it reflected a disturbing real world perspective on how kids should act.

Ann Powers writes, "True to form, the Chosen One feigned mild astonishment, like a child gazing in wonder upon his birthday cake."

Oh goodness. Melinda Doolittle from season 6 was always shocked to receive praise, but she received her compliments graciously. Many people said that her humble act was getting old, but I loved her for her humility. I love it when people with great talent still have humility. David Archuleta reacts similarly to praise. He smiles and gets a little embarrassed, but he's always gracious. Why use the word "feign?" Why assume it's an act and not genuine astonishment? After all, Simon is not one to just throw out praise.

Here's another one: "The flaw in Archuleta's artistry is his complete lack of affect beyond bashful awe at everyone's enthusiasm. Chalk it up to youth, except this isn't how a real kid acts. Prematurely booted Josiah Leming acted like a real kid: He cried, got angry, traded overconfidence for desperation. Archie is a creature of the stage -- an interpreter of his own life -- and that makes him just a little hard to trust, or love."

Goodness gracious. I saw Josiah Leming's reaction to being cut and it was embarrassing to watch, just like it's embarrassing to think back on my own teenage reactions to disappointments. For goodness sake, isn't it okay that a teenager for once doesn't act like a "real" teenager? Why is it that when someone is good, people assume it's an act and that it can't be real? I'm going to assume that David Archuleta is just a good, nice kid, and I'm hopeful that there are many more good, nice teenage kids out there.

Teenagers are capable of maturity and goodness. I witnessed this as I watched a teenage Steve be a good example to everyone of his classmates and teammates and stand up for his beliefs without offending anyone or wearing his religion on his sleeve. My little sister Ie Ling is a teenager who knows that she is of infinite worth because she is a daughter of our Heavenly Father.

I know that the teenage years are crazy, awkward, and emotional years for most. Teenagers will act the way they choose, but maybe they would choose good more often and exhibit "the quality or state of being good" if we expected it of them. Kind of like the Pygmalion effect?

I've said before that I'm fearful of my children turning into teenagers, but I'm going to start being hopeful for my children's teenage futures. I just need to do my very best to teach them how to be good from the start.

6 comments:

Michiko said...

Amen Sistah! I think people are surprised when they come across a polite, well-adjusted teenager with moral values. They are like unicorns in today's world - they aren't supposed to exist. So how do the cynics of the world approach somebody like David A.? By assuming that he's a fake, a horse with a horn glued to his forehead. There's no way he could be the real deal. Hmmm. Maybe this analogy doesn't work, because unicorns AREN'T real, so that would make David mythical too. . . Oh well, I'm not a real attorney, so my arguments don't have to be fool-proof, but I know you understand what I'm saying! :)
I am a big David Archuleta fan, and I have never perceived him to be anything but charming and genuine. Those critics can go and sit in their cranky-pants.

Ie Li said...

I thought that was a great analogy Michi! I completely understood it. Wait, unicorns are mythical? :)

Grandma Z said...

My friend Mary in the Frankfurt office introduced me to David on youtube. (We don't get American Idol here!!) I've wondered about him since he is from Murray, Utah. Is he LDS? He did a great job.
Grandma Z

Ie Li said...

Yes, he's LDS. Isn't he awesome?

Jeanette said...

I was looking at my friend's blog and she found a template for a rear-view mirror hanger of David A. Thought you might want to check it out. http://www.owl-hat.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

Great post! Very encouraging especially since I now have a teen.
And, I didn't know David was LDS. I have been wondering. That is great.