Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Tortoise.

This morning, I ran a 4-mile race in Reston. I have a love-hate relationship with races. When I show up to the races, I feel like I don't belong because I'm not a real runner. I don't have the gear, the body, or the speed. I also don't love running. I resigned myself a long time ago to being the girl with no athletic ability. I was cut from every athletic team I tried out for in high school, so I became a cheerleader, which suited me well.

What I love about races happens during and after the race. The race provides an excellent opportunity for people-watching. The runners of today's race included the REAL runners (tall, super-toned skinny people who sprinted most of the 4 miles), a man juggling 7 or so balls while running, old men, old women, and parents running with their children.

The real runners are my least favorite. They intimidate me, but I didn't see much of them. The parents running with their children were adorable. They were so patient with their children's pace. I overheard a son asking his mother, "what should I do if I have a cramp?" The mother replied, "you should just walk it off." So they started walking together. Seeing the older people run was inspiring to me. I hope I can be like them and stay active my whole life.

I love the people who work the race giving the runners water and cheering them on. One man who gave me water asked very genuinely how I was feeling. It was very sweet. There were other runners on the trail not in the race who smiled at me and said, "Go 215!" I smiled at everyone and with each smile, I felt stronger.

I ran the whole way and my time was slightly faster than my normal speed. I don't know my exact time, but I averaged about 11 minute miles instead of 12. There was this girl about my age decked out in running gear who ran way ahead of me, but then started to walk, so I passed her. The moment I passed her, she ran ahead of me and started walking again. So I passed her again. She ran to pass me again, but then started to walk. I'm really not competitive when it comes to running races. I am more than happy to accept last place as long as I run the whole way, but this girl was really bugging me so I picked up the pace, and I didn't see her again until she finished a few minutes after me. Can I compare this experience to "The tortoise and the hare" even though I didn't win the race?

Steve, Mei Li, and Stephen greeted me at the finish line and they were a welcomed sight. Mei Li said, "good job." Thanks, Mei Li. Thank you, Steve, for making this morning and training possible, and for being so supportive of my fitness goals. I love you.

Cherie and me (I wish I had a picture of all four of us from the ward who participated in the race today).

Me and the kids.

12 comments:

Sweet Cherie said...

Ie Li, you did awesome!! You kept a good pace and finished really strong. You go girl! If you're up for more races this summer, we can keep training. I think slow and steady like the tortoise is a great race strategy. I did a marathon a few years ago with friends and all through our training I was always the slowest with a consistent 12 minute mile. During the race I ran my 12 minute mile for 26 miles and just kept running the whole time, as slow as I was. I ended up finishing a good half hour before any of my friends. They all took off fast, but ended up walking in the end.

Eliza said...

Good job, Ie Li! I wish I had decided to do this! I am jealous; it sounds like a lot of fun. I love races. As my dad says, runners are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I have been trying to "run" throughout this pregnancy (since I didn't run a step with Theo) but my only real rule is that I have to run at some point during my walks. So far this has turned out to average a mile or less of jogging per week. Sad! I think it's time to step it up!

Are you going to do the relay in September? I will live vicariously through you. :) I am so disappointed I can't do that.

KelBel said...

Ie Li, that's awesome! I really am impressed - I couldn't even dream of running a 4 mile race. Looks like your training paid off!

Ie Ling said...

ie li! you're amazing. you inspire me. one day i want to run one with you. =)

Michiko said...

Slow and steady - that's what I kept telling Maika whenever he was upset that the other kids were finishing their schoolwork before him. Great job Ie Li! I am so proud of you!

The Aulava Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Aulava Family said...

good job Ie Li. You are my inspiration.

Dani said...

You go girl!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

Good job! I'm super proud of you! That's an awesome stroller, btw... what kind is it? I love to run, but agree with you that I don't have the "runner physique" but I love to do it and it's a stress releiver for me. YAY! for shorter races!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

PS: I'm sure glad you beat that one girl... and I bet she's not a mother of two! ha!

KellyW said...

Hey Lady, Cheerleading is a sport!!! Good job with the race I'm impressed!

Ie Li said...

Hey Jenny, our stroller is a Phil & Teds E3. They have several newer models now. We have loved it.