Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New things.

Steve was home for breakfast this morning. This is a pretty rare occurrence because he likes to get to work around 6:30. It was really nice. For once, Mei Li didn't cry when she watched him walk out the door. I think she felt very fulfilled after the daddy-daughter walk to the dumpster.

Stephen is waving more these days. He does it by flapping his hand. It's my favorite.

Mei Li begins all of her requests with "should we." "Should we watch Ni hao, Kai Lan?" "Should we go riding my bike so fast?" "Should we eat some pretzels?" It's hard to say no to those "should we" requests, you know?

On our way out of Target tonight, Mei Li pointed out a flock of birds flying in the multi-colored sky. They put on a spectacular aerial show against the purple, orange, and gold backdrop. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me. Mei Li said over and over again, "Mama, look at the birds! They're flying like a air!"

Stephen is showing signs that he has some rhythm. We ate dinner at Wendy's tonight because sometimes I do that when Steve is working late. Mei Li was the first one to start rockin' out to the awful music, then I followed, and then Stephen started rocking his body back and forth in his high chair, waving his arms around. It was so dang cute!

Lately, Mei Li has been responding to my requests in a very funny way. While I was bathing the children tonight, I asked Mei Li if she could stand up so that I could wash her legs. She replied, "Suuuuure! I LOVE that idea!"

Stephen is drinking formula from a sippy cup all by himself. I still nurse him in the mornings, but he's pretty much weaned. It makes me a little sad. I'm trying to pinpoint exactly why I'm sad about that. I don't think it's guilt. Is it sadness because he doesn't need me as much anymore? Is it the realization that yet another one of Stephen's baby stages is gone and there's no going back? Perhaps this is why I'm an obsessive record keeper. I don't want to lose the past. I shouldn't feel sad. We've had much joy in the past, we will have much more joy in the future, and we have a joyful present.

As joyful as our present is, I am looking forward about eight days to when Steve will be home more with us. I'm alone right now with a whole lot of housework to do and Steve's pluggin' away at the office. This is lame. It is not good for man or woman to be alone. Don't you think?

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was sad when I stopped nursing Jack too. Nursing was special bonding time Jack and I had, and once he was a little older and could get around it was one of the only times he would sit and snuggle me. I still miss it a little, but it's also exciting to watch him discover new things. Ahhh...bittersweet mommmy moment!

Jennifer said...

Can I just say, I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

It's so sad to see the passage of another stage. I still refuse to believe that Teo isn't really a baby anymore. . . I'm pretty sure I didn't carry around the older two boys this long, but Teo gets a ride pretty much everywhere he goes. Who knows?! Maybe I'll take extra long potty-training him too - just because I love the sound of the rustling diaper when he runs. :)

I love your babies!

Dyan said...

I miss you too! Like how you said it's not good for woman & man to be apart, it's not good for dear friends to be apart for so long either! Good thing for blogs...but serisouly, maybe someday we'll reunite!

Heather Dayton said...

Ie Li! I love reading your blog, and I am sad for you with the nursing thing too - Taylor is only 3.5 months old and it has gone by way too fast...I just want to freeze time for a little while so he won't get any bigger, but then I am so excited for each new milestone he reaches. Weaning from nursing has got to be one of the hardest though - I absolutely LOVE nursing. :)

Also - is your Father-In-Law an international lawyer? David said that there was a lawyer in one of the meetings at BYU recently who had your last name and was living in Germany...and we thought that sounded an awful lot like Steve's dad.

I miss you so much!!!

Ie Li said...

Yes, Heather, that was probably my father-in-law.

Eliza said...

Weaning Theo was hard for me. He basically weaned himself, although I helped things along--so that contributed, I mean the feeling that he was choosing not to need me in that way anymore.

I think because I was also pregnant at the time, it seemed like just another reminder that he wouldn't be a baby for too much longer. Also, I knew I would miss the cuddling time. Luckily he is pretty cuddly still, and the transition was ultimately better than I thought it would be.

8 days! You can totally do it and it will be such a nice holiday season with your husband around more often!

Eliza said...

P.S. I totally agree about not good for us to be alone--when I was traveling this summer and without Matt for days at a time, I realized how much I depend on him, both in taking care of Theo and in taking care of me--as a sounding board, friend, confidant, partner. It was actually really nice to discover that feeling: although when I'm alone I can be discouraged, I feel like I can do anything when Matt is with me.