Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday.

Today was eventful. Ie Ling and I planned to take the kids to the thrift store this morning, but after finishing our waffles, Mei Li poured a quart of syrup all over the table and the carpet! It was a horrible mess.

Ie Ling bathed the kids while I tackled the mess. Then we all drove to Giant to rent a steam cleaner. It was quite the morning.

The carpet looks pretty good now.

Stephen woke up from his nap before Mei Li woke up. He was content to sit on my lap and look at Ie Ling's computer. He snuggled against me, gave me kisses, and gave me many sweet smiles. I love that boy.

Mei Li doesn't like me very much these days. She prefers her papa always. It's not just that she likes him better, but she's unkind to me and tells me to go away. It's really heartbreaking. I love her so much. I am not the perfect mother, and each day I'm trying to be better, but I love my children so much it hurts. I want what's best for them. Tomorrow is a new day.

We woke Mei Li up from her nap so we could go to the park. Stephen went up to her bed and said, "ah seepy?" (Are you sleepy?) Mei Li totally understood and said, "Yeah, I'm sleepy." I can't believe how much Stephen is talking these days. It's so sweet.

We went to the park in the afternoon. Steve met us there after work. I love my husband so much. He is an amazing man and I always look forward to seeing him and talking with him.

I made breakfast burritos for dinner tonight. We ate on the deck. It was the perfect day for that. Around 7:30, Ie Ling and I left to go to Anthropologie. We found some cute hardware to make a coat rack with. I'm excited for this project.

When we returned from the mall, the kids were in bed. Steve is so great about putting the kids to bed alone. I have a hard time putting the kids to bed by myself. Mei Li had a hard time falling asleep again. Steve went in a couple of times to help her, but she just kept crying. Finally, I went in and she was not happy to see me. She asked, "Mama, where did Papa go?" "Did you see Papa last week?" I tried hard not to laugh and the last question. She talked to me for a while and it felt good. I felt like I was really her mother and that she loved me.

Mei Li: Mama, there was a ladybug on my forehead!
Me: That's silly.
Mei Li: Yeah, that's a tricky one.

She asked me to sing "the mother dear song" and then "As I have loved you."

And then she went to sleep.

A mostly lovely day.


No comments: