Our outing started out so nicely. I walked in strolling Mei Li, I silenced my cell phone, and went straight to the children's section of the library to pick out some board books. Mei Li of course wanted out of the stroller. I gave her a book and she went to the kids' table, sat down, and opened her book. How nice. That lasted for five minutes.
Mei Li started to push around our stroller. She got frustrated and screamed every time she ran into the shelves. This was when I realized that I just needed to grab our books and go. I successfully led Mei Li and stroller to the check out counter. I handed the librarian our books and library card and chased Mei Li around the library while she scanned our books. My plan was to pick Mei Li up at the last possible moment, grab the books and make our escape. I picked her up too soon. She screamed, she arched her back, and everyone stared. I asked the librarian for a plastic bag to put our books in. She didn't have one. I had Mei Li in one arm, ten books in the other, and I pushed the stroller with my right elbow and belly. I bumped into the security checkpoint on my way out. They were still staring and Mei Li was still screaming. Thank goodness for automatic doors.
I was in tears by the time we stopped at a bench outside. I don't really know why. I used to cry like a baby, but I don't cry very much anymore. Maybe I was just embarrassed or can I blame this one on pregnancy? This would have been one time when I would have gladly said "yes" to the grocery store cashier's question, "Would you like help out today?"
When we arrived at home, I opened the car door to get Mei Li out. She covered her face with her hands and then uncovered it. Peek-a-boo! After all that, she melts my heart by playing peek-a-boo! What an angel.
We once checked out a book from the Fairfax Library called "Feelings." It just had a bunch of pictures of little kids doing sign language for different feelings and emotions. Mei Li was really good at imitating the facial expressions, especially the angry face. I tried to get Mei Li to do an angry face for the camera to illustrate today's adventure at the library, but this was all I got.
8 comments:
Oh man I felt your pain!! One too many experience like that in my lifetime so far. Way to make an effort though. I believe we get rewarded in heaven for all the times we walked out of a store with a crying/screaming toddler. Some sort of a gold star system or something...For every gold star on earth ten years of peace and quiet in heaven? I'm still working out that theory. She's too cute!!
p.s. Is her hair getting lighter? It sort of seemed lighter, but it could just be the fuzziness of the photo? What do you think? Hardly and angry face :)
I have been there! Not in a library yet, but I had a similar outing to make an exchange for Mike at Macy's the other day. I feel for you!
Yeah, I think her hair is getting lighter. It's still brown, but it's more of a golden brown than a dark brown.
Darn those kids... you can never stay mad at them long, try as we might! How could you ever be mad at that sweet face anyways? :)
So I didn't realize that you had already posted on our blog when I sent you that e-mail last night :) I totally agree that it is by far and away the best way to keep in touch especially with family that is all over the place. And yes our template is totally the cutest!
I love this post...a perfect ending too. Darn those kids.
We tried out the Oakton Library the day after it opened--well I guess 2 days after since it was a Monday--and it was practically empty. I loved taking home brand-new books! (which are already getting demolished after just a few weeks.)
Anyway point being, I can relate. Not pregnant with a toddler, but I've been in similar situations. If it helps, I doubt as many people were staring as it seemed. I notice when moms are having a hard time, but I think it's just because I can relate. I usually don't offer to help because I am busy trying to keep Theo from tearing the place apart/falling out of the shopping cart/etc. But I think I will make more of an effort. I know I can always use a hand.
oh yes, the library . . . Teo is not a fan. I can't stop to look at anything! :( Also, for the first time in my life, I think I've lost a book! I'm freaking out because it is due on Tuesday and I can't find it anywhere. Wish me luck.
Post a Comment