Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blessed Weekend.

My parents, li'l sis Ie Ling, Steve's parents, Rachel, and Zack came to town this weekend for the baby blessing of little Stephen. Friday night was spent at Costco with my mom, trying to convince her that we only needed food for 12 and not 1200 for Sunday. Saturday, we went to the Washington mall to see the sights. We saw the Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean, and WWII memorials and we all went out to dinner that night. We really pushed Mei Li to the limit by skipping her nap and putting her to bed at 10 PM on Saturday, and we paid for it on Sunday. I've never seen her so grumpy. She even started saying, "I gumpy." Poor girl.

The blessing was beautiful. Having children is a beautiful thing, you know? I just can't describe all that I felt as Steve, joined by his father, my father, his brother, and our bishopric, blessed little Stephen. It brought me to tears as it did when he blessed 6-week old Mei Li.

Well, I never got the picture I had imagined for that day: the four of us on our front steps, Stephen in his argyle vest, white button-up, and khaki pants, and Mei Li in her pink polka dot dress from Aunt Rachel, and maybe a hint of a smile on either one of their faces. Instead, Stephen was without his argyle vest because of an emergency blowout. Mei Li was just up from her nap in her "Turbo Power" pajamas (a Target deal that did not have the feminine equal in the right size) and grumpy as though she didn't nap at all. I look shiny, but I think Steve looks good, and here we are in front of the least attractive part of our home: the vertical blinds!

I've recently noticed that I have a habit of holding Stephen between his legs, which doesn't make for a good family picture either. Oh well.

Here's a good one with Aunt Rachel and Uncle Zack.

With Grandparents (Stephen is the 10th grandchild on both sides)

Zackrison Men

I love this one.

The Star of the Day (with no love for the camera, but a darn cute argyle vest!)

It was a great weekend filled with lots of fun memories. I love it when family comes to visit, although I need to apologize to our visitors for being a total stress case! I just need to relax and go with the flow. Maybe I need to take a page out of Sarah's book and end my days with three "Ohms."

6 comments:

sarah said...

Sounds like fun and I'm so sad we missed it. I love the vest (and the cheeks)! Your disclaimers about your family picture are funny. You all look beautiful.

Dyan said...

Isn't always when you try to plan or imagine something that it totally ends up just opposite of what you had in your head?! Especially when it comes to kids! Why does that have to be? I too had the problem of holding my boys between the legs in pics when they were little. No wonder most of their facial expressions were anything but smiles! :) Glad you had a wonderful blessing weekend with your family, those are always special times.

Annee said...

You guys all look smashing. I wish I could have been there. I've been waiting to see these pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Dani said...

Happy blessing day to Stephen! Weekends like that, with expectations, can be stressful, but I hope you still managed to enjoy the journey! What a beautiful little family.

Karin said...

That last pic is darling! Who needs a smile with a face like that?! You are brave to host so many at once! Now take the rest of the month to recoup...

Jessica said...

What a cute little family. Baby Stephen looks so cute in his sweater, I love dressing little boys like little men. We will for sure have to get together when you are in California and we are hoping to be in VA in May