Sunday, August 31, 2008

Les Miserables.

Steve took me to see Les Miserables last night at the Wolf Trap. First of all, I love the Wolf Trap. It's an outdoor venue in a beautiful setting. It was a humid evening, which was uncomfortable, but we felt a breeze soon after the show started.

Second, we had amazing seats. Row K, dead center. Steve, I love you.

Third, Les Miserables is amazing. I had never seen the show before, and I expected to be very entertained. But, I knew all the songs and the story line so I didn't expect to be as moved as I was.

From the very first "a-ah, a-ah, a-a-a-a-a-ah" I got chills. Then, as the chain gang song went on, I started to cry. Is that normal? I cried four times during the show. I sighed after almost every number. It was such an emotional roller coaster. The agony of the prisoners, the mercy of the priest, Fantine's shattered dreams, Marius' moment of breathless delight, Eponine's heartbreak, Jean Valjean's repentance and love for his fellow men, the courage of the revolutionaries. It was amazing.

Steve and I discussed for a long time after the performance; what we learned, what we loved, what we didn't love, how it renewed our perspective on life and our blessings. It was a lovely, lovely evening.


3 comments:

sarah said...

Wow that sounds so perfect. I'm so jealous and so glad you got to enjoy such a wonderful evening together.

Kendra said...

Wow... what a wonderful evening! It's always so nice to get out and do something special, and then to get to talk and ponder and enjoy it with your husband. How wonderful!

Jen said...

I cried when watching Les Mis too and I've seen it a couple times. It's the music that gets to me.